Pre-Med Track – Bachelor of Science in Natural Science, Minor in Health & Wellness
The BS in Natural Science is a pre-professional degree that is designed to prepare students to enter medical school and other health science professional programs. The degree has the needed prerequisites for entry into medical school along with additional science and health classes designed to prepare the student to succeed in medical school and other health-science programs. Classes include hands-on training in alternative and complementary health care and lifestyle medicine taken during clinical times with the NEWSTART® nurses and physicians. Students that finish the course will have a broad experience in health and natural healing techniques that will greatly enhance their future effectiveness as medical missionary doctors.
It is the mission of the BS in Natural Science at Weimar College to provide a high-quality learning environment that prepares its undergraduates to become lifelong learners and professionals in medical, dental, and allied health professions. We desire to provide practical experience in health-related ministry and competence in the necessary core sciences, all in the context of selfless Christian service, that will enable continued study at the post-graduate level.
What kind of program is the BS in Natural Science?
The program involves a combination of academic classes along with practical hands-on training in health ministry and health evangelism. During the program each student will have opportunity to be involved in local, national and international mission experience. Important elements of the program involve:
• Mastery of core-pre-professional science subjects including anatomy & physiology, biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics.
• Practical hands-on experience in the NEWSTART® program and focused health-based science classes.
• Students will gain a knowledge of the biblical and science basis for creation and arguments raised by evolutionary theory.
• Experience in community-based health programs and concern for the wellbeing of humanity.
• Experience with ministry and leadership in school and churchbased health events and in mission service.
What will the instruction be like?
The degree includes classroom instruction along with laboratory classes for the core science classes. The degree also includes practical clinical instruction in the NEWSTART® Lifestyle center as well as practical health evangelism activities at various public venues.
Who should attend this type of program?
The program will prepare students who will attend graduate school in the health sciences and/or medical/dental/physical therapy school. This course is designed to not only prepare the student for the rigors of future professional training but also to give them experience and an appreciation of being a medical missionary. The graduate in the BS of Natural Science will be trained to be a dedicated professional but will also appreciate the value of unselfish Christ-like service to humanity.
What are the expected outcomes for graduates after they successfully complete the program?
Students graduating from the BS in Natural Science will:
• Be prepared for the MCAT or other pre-professional exams
• Gain proficiency in the essentials of NEWSTART® lifestylebased medical practice—including hydrotherapy, massage, and science-based complimentary medicine
• Be competent in creation/evolution issues
• Gain a greater understanding of God through the study of core courses
• Recognize the relationship between spiritual truths and the sciences
What type of employment or occupation is this program designed to prepare students for?
The BS in Natural Science is a pre-professional degree that is designed to prepare students for further study in medicine, dentistry, physical therapy or further graduate study such as a Master’s in Public Health. However, at this time Weimar Institute is not accredited and entrance into any graduate-level professional degree is at the discretion of the graduate institution. Students should contact the Program Director regarding their specific needs and the graduate possibilities.
A minimum of 128 credits are required for the BS in Natural Science, with expected completion in 4 years. Graduation requirements for the degree includes fulfilling all the General Education requirements along with the major requirements for the degree. To complete the major requirements, students take Core courses, Core Electives and Cognate courses.
Students who intend to use the degree for Pre-Med or Pre-Dentistry are required to include the minor in Health & Wellness along with the major in Natural Science.