Weimar Institute’s Contribution to the Public Good
Weimar Institute’s vision is to be used of God “to heal a hurting world.” It is where this vision becomes a practical reality, that the public good is positively impacted. Following are a few examples of positive impact in the recent past.
1. NEWSTART® Lifestyle Program is a health recovery program designed to prevent and reverse disease through natural methods. This physician monitored, scientifically researched, program is based on eight fundamental lifestyle principles proven to help one achieve optimum health. Over the past 35 years, the NEWSTART® Lifestyle Program has helped more than 10,000 guests with quality nutrition education and practical medical advice for a healthy lifestyle. http://NEWSTART®.com/#sthash.8sMTAOSn.dpbs
The NEWSTART® Program also provides learning opportunities for Weimar Institute’s students who do clinical rotations.
2. Health Expo is a free community service of Weimar Institute. It is designed to offer participants a free “health check-up.” The Health Expo is arranged at a local shopping center or similar venue and offers people free health screenings, tests, information, and counseling by professionals on everything from diabetes to weight management.
Weimar’s NEWSTART® Health Expo focuses on eight factors related to disease prevention and physical and mental health. These are: Nutrition, Exercise, Water, Sunlight, Temperance, Air, Rest, and Trust in divine power. Each factor is addressed in detail at the health Expo using a combination of color posters with up-to-date medical information, screening tests, and health counseling.
Participants receive a free personal health record with the results of their health screening. Activities at each station include:
• Nutrition – Cholesterol and glucose test
• Exercise – Harvard step test
• Water – Bottled water & hydrotherapy demo
• Sunlight – Blood pressure test
• Temperance – Body fat analysis
• Air – Lung capacity test
• Rest – Chair massage
• Trust – Counseling
• HealthGaugeTM – Health score calculator
There have been approximately 30 Health Expos over the past seven years where students, faculty, and staff assess health needs and provide health education utilizing the NEWSTART® acronym.
3. The NEWSTART® Cooking Laboratory is the ideal venue to explore healthy cooking
and learn about nutrition and special dietary conditions. All of our interactive cooking classes are designed to make cooking fun. The results are flavorful and healthy because of the vast culinary knowledge and easy-to-implement tips.
Scientific evidence now identifies a plant-based diet as the best possible eating plan to prevent disease and live longer. Through this amazing, high-energy series participants learn how to:
• Eat more, yet maintain a healthy weight
• Turn vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds into tasty dishes
• Create satisfying meat-free entrees
• Make deliciously healthy desserts
The Institute’s gifted chefs collaborate with our renowned NEWSTART® health team to bring a comprehensive approach to cooking that promotes wellness. In fact, the dietitians and physicians are often present in many of the special dietary classes and help to facilitate discussion and answer questions.
NEWSTART® Cooking Laboratory classes are engaging, include delicious food samplings, and are brimming with educational information, practical tips, and advice. Our classes help anyone who might be transitioning to a healthier way of living or those already on track and looking to learn more. The lab is also ideal for individuals with special dietary needs. There is something for everyone at the NEWSTART® Cooking Laboratory.
In addition to the above cooking labs offered at NEWSTART®, students, faculty and staff conducted approximately 30 cooking and baking schools in the past seven years where they shared healthful cooking methods and health promoting recipes to community members in northern California.
4. Weimar Institute offers Reversing Diabetes seminars and power-packed lifestyle education courses that deliver practical, clinically proven tools to help diabetics and pre-diabetics improve and even reverse Type-II diabetes. Over half of all American adults are projected to have diabetes or prediabetes by 2020. To date, more than 5,000 guests have had their diabetes either reversed or vastly improved while significantly reducing their risk for most of the diseases of a Western lifestyle.
5. Free Clinics: Weimar Institute students, faculty, and staff have offered four (4) medical, dental, and eye clinics on campus the past four years. Just this past academic term, students have been approved to receive PAC credit for participating in these clinics.
6. Your Best Pathway to Health is a non-profit, Seventh-day Adventist organization that exists to serve the physical needs of the under-served by providing entirely free mobile, multi-specialty clinics offering medical, surgical, dental, vision, and other critical services. Through a collaborative effort with many entities, including Weimar Institute, Pathway to Health deliberately seeks to serve as an effective “path” tolead patients to physical and mental healing, as well as improved spiritual health. As a Christian organization, Pathway to Health ultimately exists to serve as Jesus served and to love the residents of each host city as Jesus did.
Weimar Institute provides significant leadership for numerous departments during Pathways to Health events including: Radiology (our General VP, Randy Bivens MD), Mental Health (our CEO, Neil Nedley MD), Lifestyle Counseling (our Chaplain, Don Mackintosh, BSN, MDiv), Triage (Medical Director of NEWSTART® Program, Dr. Roger Gallant), and chaplaincy services (former NEWSTART® chaplain, Richard Constantinescu, MDiv). Weimar Institute students, faculty, and staff participated in the following Pathway to Health events:
San Francisco / Oakland – April of 2015 – Over 500 health professionals and volunteers served almost 3000 residents of the Bay Area with an array of high-end health services. Patients received approximately $5.2 million in health care services. https://vimeo.com/95311484
San Antonio – April of 2015 – Pathways to Health volunteers treated 6,192 people for FREE at the “Alamodome” in San Antonio, TX. Over 2000 volunteers provided approximately twenty million dollars in care. https://vimeo.com/127975117 Mayor of San Antonio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL5lL4tnx7Q
Los Angeles – April of 2016 – 8,538 treated for FREE at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Over 3000 volunteers banded together to provide more than $30,000,000 in care. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/free-medical-clinic-in-los-angeles-draws- thousands/
7. All Weimar students participate in at least one (and many more than one) mission trip during their time at the Institute. Weimar students, faculty, and staff have offered medical, dental, vision, and health promotion services, such as Health Expos, in communities around the globe.
Weimar Institute (college) Mission Trips:
• South Korea
• 2012-13 – Lebanon
• 2013-14 – Lebanon
• 2014-15 – Lebanon and Nepal
• 2015-16 – Brazil
Weimar Academy Mission Trips:
Weimar Academy students, their families, faculty, and staff conducted Health Expos, free medical and dental clinics, student-led evangelistic series, Depression and
Anxiety Recovery programs, Stop Smoking Programs, and construction projects, including orphanages, Native American homes, and community buildings. Approximately 75-100 students, faculty, and staff go each year. Recent trips include:
• 2011-12 – England, South Korea, Arizona
• 2012-13 – Utah, Belize, South Korea, Philippines
• 2013-14 – Utah, India, Jamaica
• 2014-15 – San Antonio
• 2015-16 – Alaska, Belize, Palau, Philippines
8. The NEWSTART® Lifestyle Club offers an abundance of free resources for web browsers seeking credible, reliable, and up-to-date health information. The club features streaming video, expert health advice, wellness tips, tools, and more. The club is based on the world-famous NEWSTART® principles that have helped millions live well naturally without the use of drugs. Over 800 people are registered users of the NEWSTART® Lifestyle Club.
• Eat well and lose weight
• Reduce your chance of disease
• Cut healthcare costs
• Look and feel better
• Minimize your risks for Cancer, Obesity, Diabetes and Hypertension
• Live streaming videos
• Local seminars & events
• Expert health advice
• Wellness tips & tools
• FREE membership
• Recipes and more…
This website is much more than just a resource for the general public. It includes a sponsorship program designed to equip schools, churches, and health care organizations to do health outreach simply and effectively. One of the many features is the ability for sponsors to post local events on the club website. More information on this can be found at http://www.NEWSTARTclub.com.
9. Exercise instruction and opportunity. All NEWSTART® and DR guests are encouraged to use Weimar Institute’s exercise rooms, 15+ miles of trails, and also work with various staff members (and often students) to help facilitate exercise.
10. Depression and Anxiety Programs are offered on Weimar Institute’s campus in partnership with Nedley Health Solutions. This program is the most comprehensive treatment program for Depression and Anxiety available in the U.S. Through this program, patients are able to uncover the root causes of depression and acquire the tools that they need for coping with real-life situations. The Depression and Anxiety Recovery program is offered four to five times per year and has helped approximately 420 patients since 2012 when the Program was moved from Oklahoma to Weimar. Most of Weimar Institute’s students do a rotation in this program to gain clinical experience.
11. Weimar Family Care Clinic, a Weimar Institute partner, opened its doors on campus in 2014, to provide healthcare to the local community. Weimar benefits from the clinic as it provides jobs to students and clinical experience to pre-medical, nursing, and medical assistant students. The clinic also works with campus faculty and students to provide free health care to the community several days each year.
12. The Weimar Church has provided eight (8) free seminars to the local community over the past four years. These include: health and wellness seminars, free medical and dental services, a food and clothing bank, health coaching, spiritual care and counseling, music programs, small group Bible study and corporate music.
13. The Weimart health food store provides numerous products both on location and online.
14. The Weimar Inn – Provides housing for travelers and, from time to time during Weimar’s history, for those fighting fires.
15. The Weimar Cafeteria – Providing the best of plant based cuisine for staff, students, the local community, and those traveling I-80.
16. The Weimar Farm provides registered organic foods to the local community.